Sunday 14 September 2008

Sunday dreaming


I want to build one of these - don't know how I'm going to afford it, but having fired the updraught kiln at Clay Art Wales and since, the one in Bideford, I'm realising that I've probably built the wrong kiln.

Certainly both of the updraught kilns have been a lot easier to fire than mine, stupid of me not to build to a design traditionally used to fire galena glazed earthenware, I guess I just didn't know what I was doing when I first set the workshop up.

That said, my current kiln does give me some fantastic results, but it's a lot more temperamental and difficult to control than the updraught.

My friend Matt(I called him my landlord the other day, but he's a great friend that owns my workshop) is keen to be involved with building it - it helps a lot that he's a builder, some of the brickwork in these kilns is extremely complicated to a simple boy like me.

So somehow I've to raise the capital, but if I can, I hope to have it running by this time next year - that's ambitious, but it's good goal to have.

So there are my thoughts this Sunday evening, happy Monday everyone, have a good week

11 comments:

Alan from Argyll Pottery said...

Well if you don't want to fire to a high temp' why not? Sounds good to me - good luck. I think they look fantastic.

Ron said...

I think it would be awesome! Would you go with the fiber like at Bideford or with an all brick kiln?

Unknown said...

wow sounds like a plan..I'm in!!

Dan Finnegan said...

What is it about an updraft that makes it so compatible with earthenware...is it temperature eveness?? I've often wondered because most stoneware kilns are very uneven at that temperature.
I think everybody second guesses their kiln choice at one time or another!

ang design said...

oops sorry doug, that was me pretending to be another me, fantastic all these gmail accounts!!.. just set up another one this morning...ang

doug Fitch said...

Morning all, reckon I'd go for all brick, maybe some fibre insulation, but not in the chamber like the Bidefored kiln - I'd like to keep it as authentic as is practical. My biggest difficulty with the current kiln has been controlling the reduction - it's a stoneware kiln so it's designed to reduce, the updraught seems to allow a much more oxidized atmosphere, even when it's stoked right up. They are hot at the bottom and cooler at the top, so there's a chance some stuff will get roasted just near the fireboxes, but I guess that's a case of packing the right things/clay in those positions.

Ron said...

Doug, how big of a difference in temp from bottom to top would you say there was in the Bideford kiln...one cone? two? more? Just wondering.

Hannah said...

Hmmm, so it's ok for Doug to build one but not for me is it Alan. Pray tell me why? You know they are the way forward.

Paul Jessop said...

Doug, this would be a great project
maybe we could do some sort of build and fire projecty type thing I would quite happily help you build it and raise some funds to help with the costs.

gary rith said...

does it sound strange to say that's a beautiful kiln???

ang design said...

I reckon bottle kiln tag team building across the UK..