Wednesday, 26 March 2008

I'm sooooooooo tiiiiiiiiiiiiiired

Job done and there's nothing more I can do.

The firing started at 8am and we finally finished stoking at 2am this morning, got home at 3am - blooming tired today.

My friend and former work colleague Linda from the University came to help. I hadn't seen Linda for ages so it was great to catch up. She's the Ceramics Technician at the Uni and makes lovely pots. I hassled her to start a blog, so hopefully soon you'll get to see what she's up to before too long - go on Linda, don't be shy. Linda's husband Paul is also a very good potter and makes wheel thrown stoneware cider bottles for commercial cider makers.

Mark came up in the evening and helped me fire until the bitter, exhausting end.

So now the wait until tomorrow afternoon when I'll slowly unbrick the door and hopefully find some very hot, shiny, new pots. These will all be brought home and added to the many pots I've been stockpiling in my attic.

John Edgeler from the Long Room Gallery in Winchcombe is coming on Friday to have a look, then on Sunday my mate Frank is going to take me and my pots to drop some of them off at John's place in Winchcombe and then on to London to drop the rest at the Harlequin Gallery

It's been crazy times.

If you would like to come to either of the Private Views, Winchcombe on Friday 4th April, or London on Sunday 13th April, drop me an email and I'll make sure you're invited.

Lighting the kiln
Mark and Linda


klineola said...

Home for lunch, saw your blog. Way to go. 20 hrs. Is that the normal time for your kiln? I'm glad to see the picture of the beginning of your fire. It's so peaceful, no signs of what will come later. I often forget how simple it all begins. I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished, cooled down pots, but it sounds like you will rushing them off for your shows. Well, good luck.

doug Fitch said...

No Michael it isn't, it's usually about fourteen at the most which is slightly worrying! I had a fiddle around with the flue and probably shouldn't have. I was also after a really oxidized firing so we took it very steady. Too much reduction causes my glazes to bubble and the pots go very dark. Combine that lot with some wood that I think mught have been a little damp and it's a formula to stay up all night sweating. Oh well, fingers crossed. I'm trying to arrange for my photgrapher chum to come over on Friday to document the pots before they go so hopefully I'll have some photos later in the week.

Just had a great chat with Ron on the phone - what a top man.

Hannah said...

Hope it's a good one, fingers crossed for you. I'm away to take down a friends bread oven on saturday so that I can have the bricks. . . watch this space. Very exciting.
I was chatting to your friend Mr Edgler yestoday, he had a proposition which I am very keen to join in with, harvest jugs! Ace plan. That is also very exciting.
Very much looking forward to seeing your new pots, I'm on last minute Harrogate panic and I don't even need stock for that one. Damn it.

doug Fitch said...

Hi Hannah
Thanks, you may just want to rebuild it as a bread oven when you see me unpack a load of brown bubbly pots tomorrow - ever confident.

Yes, the harvest jug project will be good. I haven't thought that far ahead but need to. Clay Art soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word!I hope the wood lasted and those nice dry ladders by the firebox are still there. I'll be thinking of you opening it up tomorrow ,fingers crossed. It was lovely to see you and Mark. Really brill.

Becky said...

All digits crossed here for you, Doug. I can't imagine this lot will be anything but exceptional. Looking forward to the news & the pix you'll post. Glad you & Ron hooked up. He is -- as you say -- a top man.
Hope to see you in the Carolinas soon!