Monday 5 January 2009

Back to work

Back to work today after a lengthy, relaxing break. Time to get my head back into potting mode - that may take a while, I don't know yet. Marky Mark's back from Mexico and is going to pick me up shortly as he's got a day off work, so we'll crack on together and maybe even get that roof on the clay shed. I haven't seen MM in weeks, so it'll be great to catch up and hear of his adventures.

Last night I came across this wonderful blog. It's about wood rather than pottery.

Here's Mr Robin Wood doing his thing, making beautiful bowls and talking with passion about the history of his craft and his great hero, George Lailey, 'the Last Bowlturner', who died fifty years ago. I know you'll enjoy it.



Have a good Monday, catch you later.

8 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

KIND OF NICE, GETTING BACK INTO THE ROUTINE, oops, I was using caps lock...

ang design said...

noice one doug....

Ron said...

Great video. Nice tools he's using, the treadle lathe and such. I noticed he mentioned earthenware too. Very cool. I'm going to look up more on him now.

Jude said...

Brilliant, thanks, I loved the video. Good luck getting back into it. Plenty of talking first, I think....

Hollis Engley said...

Wonderful stuff, Doug. Thanks for posting the video. Now ... back to work ...

Hannah said...

i fancy having a go of that, you know in my "spare" time!

doug Fitch said...

Evening all.
Did the talking Jude, it was good to hear of MM's holidays in the sun, lucky man. He had an amazing book about Mexican crafts, I'll try and get some pics to share - clever people in that culture, they value their traditional skills.

Great stuff on Robin's blog eh? I was well chuffed to find that.

Robin Wood said...

Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting my video and the nice comments. I am a big fan of pots, in fact I always feel much more at home with potters than woodworkers. I did Art in Action for many years and the ceramics tent with Svend and Clive Was always a favourite place.

In the medieval period potters made jugs and turners made bowls, both full of vitality. I think rustic wooden bowls and traditional jugs go as well together today as they did back then.