Friday 10 April 2009

Home again

We're back in rainy Devon again after a whistle stop tour around England, taking in Winchcombe, Evesham, Bolton, Blackpool and Bedford. I've become quite a traveller of late, in contrast to my generally reclusive tendencies. It was lovely to see our extended family, albeit briefly.



The Derby Boys show was enjoyable and it was a great pleasure to see our work displayed together. Here we are, each clutching one of our student pieces, made way back in 1980-something. With us is Tim Willey, who was our lecturer at Derby College. He's holding one of my jugs that he kindly purchased from the show.

Tim was a huge influence on me when I was a student. He introduced me to the West Country tradition of slipware and country pottery. These are influences that have been at the core of my work ever since. He also taught me about good handle making - he had inherited these skills from the late, great, Sidney Tustin of Winchcombe Pottery when he was a student.

The show continues for another week, until April 18th. Some of the pots can be seen here on John Edgeler's site.



So yesterday I was back at work. Marky Mark came over and we spent the day getting soaked, whilst bodging together the end wall of the little storeroom. It looks pretty shabby at the moment, but once it's had a coat of paint and there are plants growing up it, I think it'll be fine.

Hil and the boys are off school for Easter and as ever during holiday times, I find it hard to drag myself away to the workshop. Nevertheless, it has to happen today, if only for a short while as I've things to do, so I'll sign out now, grab a bite to eat, then head off to Hollyford for a few hours of potting.

Toodle-pip

9 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Grand to hear from you and see the pics. Happy Easter to you, and I know what you mean about making pots today: I was starting to think I should make bunny cupcakes instead...

Ron said...

Hey, glad to hear the show went well and now you are home. Pics look good on JE's site. I hope you sold some pots too. Enjoy the weekend w. the family. Catch ya soon

Sister Creek Potter said...

You look and sound great! I am happy for you. Gay

Anonymous said...

cool group shot of the fab 4

Craig Edwards said...

Good to see you back and happy~~~

Hollis Engley said...

Sounds like the show went well, Doug. Congratulations.

klineola said...

AHHH, I was just going to look you up! Thanks for the report. The shed looks great!

Jude said...

That store room would fit right into my neighbourhood.........

Paul Jessop said...

You guys look good, hope the show went well.
glad your back safe and well. and to see you looking so well.