Thursday 11 February 2010

My second waffling video blog

I had a really lovely surprise today - a visit from a friend of mine from Shropshire, Mark Griffiths and his wife Sarah, who had been touring around the Westcountry and had tracked me down in my little shed.




Mark is a remarkable potter. He makes beautiful saltglazed pots, you can see them here on Wendy Blackburne's fantastic site. I was really chuffed that they took the time to find me - it's not easy as I'm off the beaten track and particularly tricky as I had the phone unplugged this morning so they couldn't even call me. The workshop's still a chaotic building site, so they didn't see the place at its best, but hopefully they'll come again some time soon when it's finished.

And so on to today's video blog.

I enjoy using the video camera because it's there, in the workshop, so you're there too. I have no computer in the workshop(and will never have one - sanctuary!) so blogs are conventionally composed in the evenings from recollections of the day. The video catches my thoughts while I'm there in the moment - a very different headspace.




This is a bit of film of me decorating one of the harvest jugs I made the other day.




And this is the pot afterwards. It will look completely different when it's fired, the contrast won't be quite as severe and the lines will soften.

Thanks everybody for your comments on the previous posts. I do enjoy them, even if I don't always get time to respond, please forgive me for that - you do make me smile :-)
Time for bed, goodnight all.

14 comments:

ang design said...

wearly Shropshire..!! the video quality is great fullscreen, lovely job again mr dooglas..

Anonymous said...

Thank you Doug, It's great to be there with you, spring will be such an inspiration to you, it seems like a long winter this time.
Tim

Richard Law said...

Hey! Great, Douglas. The video really brings your creative process alive, and into my livingroom. Lovely simple jug too, beautiful.

Paul Jessop said...

Great Video.. I love watching the pot come alive.
and Love the idea of slapping it like a bottom before you start.

Congresburypotter said...

What an inspirational way to start the morning - thanks Doug!

James H said...

Mark and your good self in the same work shop aye! Talent must have been oozing out of the windows. Mark's pots are bloody marvellous too!

Sister Creek Potter said...

Doug, how great it is that you value your blog so much to provide the wonderful little visits to your studio via the videos. It is a great gift to us. Thanks so much. Gay

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr Fitch, Wet and Slippy is good! Great vids.Keep them coming. All the best, nic.

Anonymous said...

another great video doug... i've always loved the look of that freshly wet slip and it's nice to get a sense of the immediacy of working with that wet canvas. i admire your devotion to the natural world for imagery too.

doug Fitch said...

Thanks all. Jim I really enjoyed learning more about you on that site the other day.

buy dining room furniture said...

Excellent post by the always we love and praise, not Pa Moren to your blog, as long as your blog has been so maintained, I believe your blog and you will slowly grow together up more and more excellent.

lengha choli said...

Don't be too perfect life of, what you say is very reasonable, the person's life in the struggle for the good life, come on!

Unknown said...

html - lehenga saree
Wonderful article,thanks for putting this together! “This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. Keep it up!”

Anonymous said...

This blog is pretty interesting, will add a bookmark, thanks. bmw isid