Tuesday 14 October 2008

Medieval English Pottery



This is one of my favourite books. I pulled it off the shelf last week, the first time in a while and got all excited again about medieval pots. Recently I've been looking a lot more at North Devon slipware, particularly the harvest jugs. Seeing these pictures again has certainly influenced the pots that I've made this week.



Apologies for the bad snapshots.



There's a pot in this book that is one of the most important of my pot-making life. It's a jug in the Victoria and Albert Museum, I saw twenty four years ago when I was a student. It completely blew me away and dictated the direction of my student work from then on. I haven't put a picture on of the pot, I may save it until I get brave enough to show one of my dodgy student pieces from all those years ago.

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

yes, great pots alright, and wonderful to think of the straight line from you back into time