Sunday, 22 June 2008
None too good
Well that was a disappointment.
I used to mix my dark glaze using Fremington red earthenware from North Devon, sadly no longer available, so the latest batch I had to use Valentines red clay. Well there must be a LOT more iron in the clay, because when I opened the kiln there were many brown pots, most had runny glaze that glued the pots to down, damaging every single shelf and destroying a large percentage of the firing. My glazes won't work in an electric kiln so I couldn't test it first. Maybe I was a bit foolish to have used so much of it.
Poor Jessica, a young girl who is coming to do work experience with me this week, was there to get her first taste of this risky game. At least it stopped me cursing!
However, all was not lost and there were some pots that worked very well, but the spoil heap will be mountainous tomorrow. Every large jug copped it, all the big jars and most of my mugs. In fact, most of everything including that crazy puzzle jug.
Well, the only thing I can do is get stuck in to making again tomorrow and try again. Fortunately I did get a few lovely pots out in the other glaze so I'll have plenty for Earth & Fire next weekend, but I'll need to go for it now to get some more through for Hatfield in August. What a bore.