What a crazy couple of days it's been, I haven't had any time at all to update this blog.
Today was supposed to be firing day, but it's done, a day early.
Monday and Tuesday were concentrated glazing sessions. I really don't enjoy glazing at all and the sight of a whole kiln load of biscuitware is pretty daunting, so it was a case of just getting stuck in until the job was done. The workshop was chaos, pots on every surface, in every stage of production. I'd got large jars and bottles that had to be decorated midst all the glazing, the first shot's of one of the large bottles with combed decoration through freshly applied slip.
Mark came up on Tuesday evening and we packed the kiln and bricked the door up, finishing at about eleven thirty. We managed to get a lot of pots in, it looks to be a great pack.
Yesterday was supposed to be a day for getting in wood in readiness for firing but as we had decided to fire, I went to Tiverton to collect the wood first thing and lit the kiln rather later than usual. Because of the late start, we finished at about three thirty this morning instead of the more regular eleven o'clock. Getting up again at seven, ready to take Hil to work and Luke to the dentist wasn't easy.
It was my Dad's birthday yesterday so I made this jug for him - he'll be thinking 'oh no, not another jug'! I like these fat, softly thrown jugs and I've an idea of how I'm going to decorate this one for him and if it works how I can see it in my mind's eye, it should be quite tasty. My poor parents have got a house full of my pots from the last twenty plus years, I hope one more won't hurt.
The firing went brilliantly it seemed, with a long, slow climb to get the final cone over. The last picture shows two cones in the foreground and the third cone bent, which told us that we'd reached our optimium temperature.
Now, the wait until Saturday morning and the unpack, which will be either good - or not so good - I do feel quietly confident that it'll be good though - let's hope so.