Wednesday 29 February 2012

Bowls, dishes, tiles, mugs........

Good morning all. It was another long day yesterday and the same again today. I'll have company this evening from my good buddy, Marky Mark. Teapots didn't happen, nor small plates, but I made a few dishes and some tiles for an order.

Lots of finishing and decorating to do today. There's not time to make much more for the wood firing, so soon I'll clear the decks and set about glazing everything in readiness for the big burn next week. I'd like to try and make a few hump molded dishes before then though - maybe today if there's time - we'll see. I'd better get to work or nothing will happen at all, unless the pixies have been round in the night.



Happy Wednesday all

6 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Nicely edited video...very smooth! Thanks. BR

David Barber said...

Hello Doug,
thanks again for the videos. Can I ask if you can point me towards any useful books or websites where I can learn more about making slipware pottery. I have been potting for a coule of years, but only with stoneware - since watching your vids I'm a convert and want to try my hand at slipware. Once again, thanks,
dave

Unknown said...

Hi Doug, Sorry, just read my previous comment and realised it sounded a bit vague. I'm not sure which clays and glazes to use, and web searches don't seem to be much help. I realise that you're not a public information service - just hoping you take pity on a beginner :-)

Joe Troncale said...

To David.
Not from Doug the expert...
This is Joe from Pennsylvania.
There is a good book that helped me called "Surface Design for Ceramics" that sort of gives basic of slipware decorating. You can get it on Amazon.
Now Doug is in the major leagues of slipware, so I would stick to his videos...

doug Fitch said...

Thanks all
David there are a few good ones. There's one by John Mathieson, which features lots of different potters' work and shows how the different approaches of each - it include recipes for slips, glazes etc. Linda Bloomfield wrote a book titled Advance Pottery Techniques - that has a section in it. There's a book called slipware by Mary Wondraush too, although I do everything that she says you shouldn't do! I hope that helps.

Unknown said...

Doug and Joe,
Thanks ever so much for your suggestions, I'll get on to Amazon.
Dave