Wednesday 5 May 2010

Groggy

Another long day, just in from work a short while ago.




I'm missing the gritty brick clay that until recently, I blended into my clay. The brickworks where I used to buy it has now closed and I've only a little left that I need to finish off a tile order, so today I've been trying additions of a number of different sands in attempt to make some kind of similar clay body. This jug contains some peculiar china clay granules which almost did the job - a little too coarse maybe.

I made more of these

and some little ones too

The weather's been beautiful so I've been able to spend some time sitting on the bench, drawing. This end of the workshop's looking lovely now, the rambling rose is getting going on the walls and the apple tree behind the bench is in full bloom.


This end of the workshop, not so good, but hopefully it'll take shape in the next couple of weeks. fortunately I have a lot of wood as I'll be firing in about three weeks. This is a hugely important firing, (they all are), as it will contain pots for the summer shows and an exhibition that I have with Geoff Fuller - more about all of that later.


Here's the view from the workshop, over to the woods. The grey fleck, bottom left, is Luke's sculpture and a little further to the right is where my clay has come from. The woods have really greened up in the last few days and are full of bird song.
Well that's all for now, I need to go and get cleaned up and get some sleep.
Goodnight all










5 comments:

Ron said...

Hey Doug, pots look good as usual. We must catch up. I've been terrible about keeping in touch lately. Exciting about the show w. Fuller. I may ask you to get me something small if his if he has anything, a tankard or bowl or mug. I can send you a check. Well, happy potting. I do look forward to chatting soon. Best to all the family.

Hollis Engley said...

I do like the coarseness in that one sample. The trick for me when I used that very coarse clay was to keep the bigger particles from literally opening up the walls of the pot in the firing and leaving holes. Tough to keep the lemonade in the jug with holes in it.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I tried fireclay my last lot came in crunchy size,great for raku.Pots are looking great,love the idea of local clay, connects you right to the earth.
Tim

doug Fitch said...

I love it when the clay is pushed to the limit on bellied pots and almost splits - that's what I'm missing now. Off to get some Cornish Stone from Nic at the weekend, hopefully that'll do the job. The fireclay sounds interesting Tim, where ws it from? The bulbs are coming through nicely in the garden by the way :)

ang design said...

oooh lovely jugs you do turn them out mr fitch! and the woods are looking spooky...mmm