Wednesday 29 April 2009

More shed news



Here's Marky Mark last night, building the new kiln shed. We worked until it was too dark to see the bubble in the spirit level.



I carried on with it today, adding the window and surrounding woodwork in my usual bodged rustic style, assembled gently with some six inch nails and a tube of Gripfill. When it's finished it'll be symmetrical, a window each side, with double ledge and brace doors hung in the centre of the two windows. I really should be making pots, maybe tomorrow. One thing's for sure, if I don't start soon I'll be under pressure to get everything made ready for the next firing at the end of May. Fortunately I work better under pressure.

If you look in front of the new bit of shed, you'll notice a very fine cane leaning against the wall. It was sent to me by my blogging chum and wood carver, Clay Perry. I'm chuffed to bits with it, thank you Clay.



Here's a close up of the carving.

Now this has made me feel really guilty, because weeks ago, I made Clay a mug in exchange, but have yet to send it. I'm so useless at getting stuff in the post. Trouble is, I'm away to work before the Post Office opens in the village, then I get home after it's closed. We only have one car which Hil needs to get to work in the opposite direction, so I either walk or get a lift. I'm then stuck at the workshop all day until I either walk the three miles home, or get picked up.

So we've decided to get a second car and I can only hope that it helps me to get more organised.

Thanks again Clay, I'll be sending your mug - and sorry too Debbie if you read this, I'll be sending your jug too.

9 comments:

ang design said...

looking suitably rustic doogman nice work!, everything here in stark contrast is galv...not so rustic unless its rusty...

Amy said...

that last picture is gorgeous... the wood carving amidst the clovers.

klineola said...

Looking Good!

Clay Perry said...

hope you enjoy the cane on long walks about the country side... take your time sending the mug!!! no rush at all Doug.

Matt Grimmitt said...

Shed news rocks!

Anonymous said...

Kiln shed is looking good Doug.
I love the walking cane. It's giving me ideas, I've been thinking about making walking sticks/staffs for a while now.

Paul Jessop said...

Doug, I had a thought How about getting a second hand quad bike rather than a car, you can stick a box on the back and carry stuff around, but it's so much cheaper to buy and run than a car.
one of our local farmer has one and his collie dog rides on the back, I 've even seen them carrying a great big sheep on it.

Unknown said...

Doug,
great to see your kiln shed. Keep plugging away. I'll have to come and visit you again next time I'm in Exeter. I launched out and put up a blogspot of my own. Come check it out!

Anyway, great to find your blogspot and I'll try to keep in touch.

doug Fitch said...

Cheers all. Clay I love it and will indeed be using it on my walks